Dear family,

May I suggest the following rules for essay-writing????

1- One hour time limit. (5-minutes definitely fits under this time limit)

2- No guilt about not writing

3- When possible, hit the “reply to all” button when replying to an essay

Open for suggestions or additions….

Love, Holly

Link: Mifferules

Authors

Monday, April 20, 2009

Summer

It’s hard to remember some of the summers I had as a kid. I recently came across a Calvin and Hobbes strip where Hobbes mentions that Calvin complained all summer about how bored he had been. Calvin’s response is that he must have been delirious from all the fun that he was having. That’s how I like to remember my summers, but there weren’t all too many specifics that stick out to me.
Back when I didn’t have any responsibilities, I didn’t have any homework to worry about, and all of my friends were in the same boat, what did I do then? How did I find something to keep me busy for three whole months? I wasn’t old enough to drive, I didn’t get enough money from my allowance, and I wasn’t smart enough to know how to spend money if I had it. What did I do?
Well, one year I remember racing bikes down the lane. But my chain came off and I didn’t have any brakes and I ended up with my feet sticking out of the blue spruce behind the old basketball hoop. That definitely wasn’t a joyful experience…at the time. There were other summers where all I remember are the reunions and the unusual exciting things. Like when we made the wagon into a handcart for the 24th of July parade.
But other than that…
Now things are different. I have something to do all day every day, but when I don’t, then what? I’m hoping that it is as easy as it used to be to have fun. Hopefully my friends will come out to play. And now I can drive and I have money, so I’ll definitely have fun, right? Luckily one of my conditions of living with Holly and Mike this summer is that I’ll spend lots of time playing outside with the kids. I’m really excited for that. Maybe I’ll make this summer memorable for them somehow.

No comments: