Dear family,

May I suggest the following rules for essay-writing????

1- One hour time limit. (5-minutes definitely fits under this time limit)

2- No guilt about not writing

3- When possible, hit the “reply to all” button when replying to an essay

Open for suggestions or additions….

Love, Holly

Link: Mifferules

Authors

Monday, February 22, 2010

"Ye cannot go amiss"

In Doctrine and Covenants section 80, the Lord calls a member of the church on a mission to preach the Gospel. In verse three the Lord says, “Wherefore, go ye and preach my gospel, whether to the north or to the south, to the east or to the west, it mattereth not, for ye cannot go amiss.” In class we discussed how this scripture can be referred to missionaries around the world who wonder if they are where they are supposed to be. I also think that this scripture can refer to other aspects of life in a very important way.

I have been thinking hard about what exactly I want to do with my education when I graduate from college. As an engineer, there are so many options, and it is important to me to find something that I can enjoy and really get good at. While growing up, I noticed that I can be good at a variety of skills, and because of this realization I did everything I could. Even while I was in high school I noticed that I didn’t really have any focus in life other than the idea that I liked the sciences, and yet I didn’t focus on those studies much more than anything else. Now, after focusing more on studying the sciences and learning more about them, I am making the decision how I should even more specify my focus. Because I wanted to bring the Lord into my decision, I started studying the matter of choosing a direction, and this is what I’ve found:

“Wherefore, go ye…whether to the north or to the south, to the east or to the west, it mattereth not, for ye cannot go amiss.” In studying this subject, I found that Psalm 25 can be all about bringing the Lord into decisions like this. “The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies….What man is he that feareth the Lord? Him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose. His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth” (Psalm 25:9-13). As we see in Revelation 3:15, the Lord wishes that we be useful in one way or another, and not lukewarm: “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou wert cold or hot.” And because He wants us to be useful in one way or another, he will guide us in those ways, and teach us in the ways that we shall choose.

I would like to quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard’s April 2009 Conference talk on this subject. This talk is titled, “Learning the Lessons of the Past.” “Look to your parents and others who have gone before you, [and] you will find examples of faith, commitment, hard work, dedication, and sacrifice that you should strive to duplicate….It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which it would not be worthwhile to consider and learn from the experience of other. Many professions require internships, during which aspiring professionals shadow seasoned veterans to learn from their years of experience and accumulated wisdom….Of course, there are times when we have no choice but to venture out on our own and do the best we can at figuring things out as we go along….It is my message and testimony to you today, my young friends, that for the most important questions of your eternal lives, there are answers in the scriptures and in the words and testimonies of apostles and prophets.”

My original idea about making decisions about what to do with my life was that I would continue studying diligently what I had been studying, and that somehow the Lord would help me see my mind open in one direction or another. From this study I realized that the Lord expects me to study what I am studying, apply myself in the direction that I am most inclined to go, and then He will support me and teach me in that way as long as I keep my covenants and testimony. He is waiting for me to make my decision and then He will tell me that it is the right decision for me.

No comments: